Hey friends! It’s been forever since I put up a blog post and I’m so sorry I put this on the back burner, but I’m going to do my best to bring it forward again. I’ve had some recent diagnoses that have caused me to put things on hold, including the blog, in order to take care of myself. This past month has held many trials, stresses, anxiety and curveballs, but it’s also been filled with healing. I still have a long way to go and I’m not quite ready to share my story, however I’d covet your prayers!
So today, since this topic has been on my mind and my heart lately, I wanted to share some cheap, easy(ish) ways that you can get some self-care!
- Get into the Word. Make your devotions and your relationship with God a priority!
- Take a shower. Trust me, I know how hard this is to accomplish since I have a 2-year-old and a 5 month old! Sometimes this means I get up WAY before anyone else, which is hard since Emma still isn’t sleeping through the night, or I squeeze it in during nap time. I can’t always wash my hair so I put that in a shower cap, but getting clean and feeling refreshed is the important part!
- Take a walk. Load those babies up in a stroller or in the baby carrier and walk through your neighborhood! Getting some fresh air and exercise will be great for you all! If you can’t do that then try doing some yoga through youtube videos at home. Let your kids get involved if needed or just let them have some quiet play time while you relieve some stress.
- Coloring. This one sounds so silly and a throwback to younger days, but there is something so therapeutic about coloring!
- Declutter a room. The more stuff you have to “organize”, the more stress you have! Toss that old junk into a bag and donate it.
- Read a book or do a devotion instead of TV. I love watching my shows on Netflix or Hulu, but I’ve come to learn that too much or too often increases my anxiety. This isn’t a big step but it makes a huge improvement!
- Drink plenty of water, take your vitamins and most importantly- feed yourself WELL. I feel SO guilty and hypocritical for writing this, because half the time I consider coffee a food group. But the past few months I have been putting a huge effort into my nutrition and I can’t even explain to you how much energy I have! If you really struggle with this then try doing small steps like adding MCT oil and collagen powder to your coffee (makes it so delicious and creamy!) or make a protein shake in the morning. Little steps to help improve your health really do add up!
Most importantly, NEVER feel guilty about taking some time for you! You can’t pour from an empty cup, take the time to refill yourself.